Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Winter's Loving Embrace

Snow, ice, wind and cold. The elements which bring everyone's memories of sweat dripping from their bodies from the hot and humid weather of summer into mind and longs for those days. I always find it funny, for I do the same, when in the depths of winter, we long for the hot days of summer. Then when summer comes the joys of winter, like Broomball, skiing and hockey are missed but not the weather which allows for the winter fun. But yesterday as I was wandering around the city obtaining the gifts for my loved ones for the Holiday Season, I watched the cars make their way along the slick and slippery roadways. I thought how a fawn or any young long legged animal taking their first steps or watching an animal walk across ice. The awkward movements and slow pace was a vision which cheered me up as I waited in traffic for three quarters of an hour.

The tree outside my window has most of the snow fallen off of smaller branches but small ice globs encase the tips causing the light to reflect off of the small ice drops. The tree looks like small lights are shining off the ends of the branches. Even though the trees are sleeping, I enjoy the winter days. The sleeping earth awaiting its shift to bring the warmth of the sun back and allow all the trees and small plants to awaken and make the world green again. Spring will be wonderful. But for now I will enjoy the crisp mornings and the enjoyment of skidding across the sidewalk as the ice forms every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment