Monday, May 16, 2011

Back on Track...

A lot of time and books have passed since I was stumped on a book that I could not get through. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt was one such book. I enjoyed what I read but I could not get myself to read more then a few pages at a time. I decided to put the book back on the shelf and grab another. That was 2 weeks ago and I have read 2.5 books. Not as many books as I would like to have read in that amount of time but with a wedding and moving into a house has taken a lot of time.

The House at Riverton was a great book. I loved the narrator, Grace. I loved learning about her life after the 'event', and all the events leading to the 'event'. I also felt it was rather poignant to read the last few months of a dying woman. To live her feelings of her past, wishes for the short future and dreams of seeing her grandson. Ursula was a great character, despite the limited interaction the reader has with her. I liked her. The sacrifices the serving class made to ensure the wealthy had the life they wanted was incredulous. I know this was a fictitious book and the real life servants of the wealthy of the late 1800 - 1920s were not as romanticized as the book depicts but when Grace gives up her life with Alfred, I cried. All because she felt she could not leave her lady. Oh wonderful...the event. The feelings of the 'event' were all selfishness and jealousy. There was no love or happiness. Only selfishness, lust and jealousy. I loved this book. It was amazing.

Dark Watch by Clive Cussler. One of the best Oregon Series I have read to date. I have 3 more I think, but I enjoyed this book a lot. The human trafficking was sad and horrible to read through Eddie's point of view. Juan's only dedication and hatred towards people who would promote human trafficking and enslavement. I love the characters and the action adventures the crew on the Oregon go on. I would continue but I have read/blogged enough on Clive Cussler that I do not need to continue other then say, if you like Juan Cabrillo, read Dark Watch.

On to the next book! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment